Videos

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chicago Invite

Saucy headed down to Georgia last week with the IHUC boys as a mixed team called HucSauce. It was one of the most fun weeks I've ever had, so there's a lot to cover. The short of it is that we won the mixed division, a trophy, and all the glory. Bekah and I will try to write up a more detailed play-by-play later on this week when we're not bogged down trying to catch back up with homework. If only ultimate was the only part of college...

Until then here's a short bit about our wonderful Saturday at Chicago Invite from Bekah's perspective:

What a week… I can catch us all up on that in a bit. I need to type down what I have in my head right now before the thoughts fly away.

Worst day ever. Worst. Day. Ever. 20-30 mile an hour winds and snowing. If you looked up wind the tiny pieces of ice flew through the air and lightly stabbed your eyes. The wind took the rim of every disc. Carolyn in fear of getting hypothermia …. AGAIN, reluctantly had to go in early. We missed her a lot with only 5 handles that turned into 4 or 3 at different times of the day.

It was freezing. Like being submerged in a wind tunnel of ice water. Each gust would take even more warm air from my lungs. I would freeze and go numb. I played as much as I could, my heart pounding in my chest like my feet were to the ground. It was trying to warm me as I played the chill reached its icicled fingers into my mouth down to my stomach sending a new wave of cold through me. I shivered, my teeth chattered. Soon I would be the next level of numb waiting for the wind to find me again. My ankles were frozen so I couldn’t feel their pain. My knee was tight but the feeling was so dull compared to everything else.

The moment I remember.

Alyx, Justine and I are on to handle. Dre and Megan are somewhere doing something. We look at each other all a little worried. One of us says, “we can do it.”

The other team (Wisconsin B) pulls. The swinging begins. Justine to Alyx to me to Alyx to JustinetoKristentoAlyxtoMetoJentoMetoKristentoSarahtoJustinetoAlyxtoMe toLizatoMetoAlyxtoKristen and so on... turn- no big, no big. X5. Up wind. The flow was like a river with no dams, no rocks, no edges just water flowing like it should. The third time we got it back and started working I ran up the field as it was swinging back to me gained 5 yards and back to Alyx losing only 2. My face stretched wide smiling uncontrollably. I could see the heat and power in Alyx’s eyes the focus radiating for Justine’s arms. The wind disappeared and it was just us three throwing at Hubbard, back and forth laughing about something Jen had said or something that happened that weekend. Catch outside, inside back to Alyx. Every time without even thinking. We were a power house pumping up the field so sure that we could win, so sure we could do it.

I want to say that we did, but sometimes 10 yards from the end zone 5 times in a row is just as good as one up wind point.

-Bekah (Haha so much more poetic than me... English major vs. Engineer)

What we determined on our car ride home was the best thing that came out of the weekend is that we now have something to compare any other tournament we go to with shitty playing conditions, so no complaints, just think about Chicago Invite 2010.
Anyway the gist of that tournament was we won our first two games, lost our second two and then play was canceled on Sunday because of the parking lot of DOOM.

Check back in a few days for the high tide recap!

-Alyx

1 comment:

  1. I would just like to say the somewhere where Megan and Dre were was trying to figure out who we were supposed to play- not our fault you guys decided to start the game without us and lose the flip ;)

    But seriously all that other stuff about the Justine-Alyx-Bekah power house was legit!

    ReplyDelete