Videos

Friday, May 6, 2011

Saucy Players Endorsements for Robyn

Though Robyn has only been playing on Saucy Nancy for one year, she is as involved and committed to this team as a 5th year senior. Robyn has undeniably given a lot of herself for this team in heart, time in and out of practice, practice/drill planning, game strategy, skills, teaching, and in overall dedication to the sport as a whole. I knew people could be crazy about Ultimate (as she is), but Robyn has shown me what true dedication and contribution to the sport of Ultimate really is. From Women’s Conference Coordinator (while also being a key player ON the field), to following other team’s seeding like a March Madness bracket, to staying late almost every practice to work on throws and help others, to watching MORE video than was asked of us to prepare for tournaments, Robyn really has a commitment and passion for all aspects of the sport. I have played on Saucy Nancy for 4 years, and to see Robyn just as dedicated, passionate, and invested in the team as I am truly inspires me as a player and person. As a player, Robyn displays superior throwing ability as well as athleticism. The confidence I have in her throws as well as her ability to be a play-maker is unwavering even in the worst (and windiest) conditions. I cannot think of, nor have personally met, another person more deserving of the Callahan award.

Kelli Parsons
5th Year Player on Iowa Saucy Nancy
2011 All-Region Nominee
*As an Iowa City native, KP has played with Saucy since she was in high school.
_________________________________________________________


Whenever someone from another team approaches me about Robyn’s outstanding Ultimate skills, the conversation always turns into me telling them about how wonderful she is, not only as a player, but as a teammate. This is Robyn’s first year playing with Saucy Nancy but I truly feel like she has been my teammate for many years. She has put her heart and soul into our team from day one by motivating us to be the best players we can be, whether it’s through leading work-outs outside of practice, making us team-spirited gifts, or putting in the extra time to help us improve our skills. Something else I really admire about Robyn is her ability to see the good in every single player on our team; she appreciates everyone’s contribution to the team and is never hesitant to let us know the difference we are making.

Robyn is not only dedicated to our team, but the entire Ultimate community. She put so much time and effort into organizing our Conferences tournament and made sure that we had fields to play on, despite the not so ideal weather. This is Robyn’s last year of eligibility but, knowing her character, I am confident that she will continue to have a positive influence on our team by providing us with her input, advice and support as she finishes her degree at the University of Iowa. I truly believe that Robyn displays all of the outstanding qualities of a Callahan winner, not only as a player, but as a teammate and as a friend.

Hannah Rohret
4th Year Player on Iowa Saucy Nancy
New 2011 Addition to the Handler Line
_________________________________________________________


Robyn was the definition of intimidation when I met her this year when she came to join Saucy Nancy. She can throw any throw in the book, come out of nowhere and d anyone, and has a fierce mark. Everyone who has played against her can tell that she has mad skills. But what makes Robyn a great

player and the whole package is her personality and dedication. She is one of those players that inspires people to be better, not just because she is insanely good, but because she still works, and wants, to be better. I can't count the number of times Robyn has texted me to go outside and throw or asked me what I want to work on as a player. I also can't count the number of times I see her chatting with her defender during a pause in the game. Robyn truly cares about the experience others are having during the game, spreading her feeling of love and excitement for the game with everyone, which is something that makes her different than the other standouts and Callahan nominees. She will never forget the joy of the game, which will continue to inspire me and numerous others across the nation, making her the best Callahan nominee for the 2011 season.

Sara Timko

3rd Year Player on Iowa Saucy Nancy

_________________________________________________________


The first time I met Robyn, I really did not know what to expect. I knew she was a great player and I was truly excited to have her on our team, but I was unsure of how well she'd fit in, whether she'd cut or handle, and how much time she'd be able to put into Saucy Nancy, having just entered a busy graduate program here at Iowa. Within a few short weeks, however, I knew that she was going to be an incredibly valuable addition to our team, and now I cannot imagine Saucy Nancy without her. She quickly learned all of our names and positions (when I was a rookie it took me FOREVER to learn everyone's name), figured out our individual strengths and weaknesses, and helped us to develop and grow as a team throughout the year. She has put so much time into our team despite her busy schedule, and her spirit and positive energy have kept us going all year. What I think makes Robyn most worthy for the Callahan award, though, is a comment she made on a picture of our teammates from a tournament this spring. It was a picture of a veteran hugging a rookie after her first (totally awesome) layout d, and Robyn said "I honestly think that this is the best picture from our entire season. This picture pretty much sums up how I feel about this team. I am getting all warm and fuzzy just thinking about Saucy." The love that Robyn shows for our team is outstanding, and the heart that she puts into ultimate makes her more than deserving of the 2011 Callahan award.

Justine Hart
3rd Year Player on Iowa Saucy Nancy

_________________________________________________________


Besides Robyn’s obvious talent and athleticism on the field, where even the strongest wind can’t touch her hucks and her deep zone d is unparalleled, her love of the game and of her team is what makes her stand out. Through knee injuries, tough losses, and insane weather conditions, Robyn’s positivity has shown every step of the way, never allowing herself or her teammates to forget that we play this sport because we love it. She joined the Ultimate world five years ago and has countless wins under her belt, but can still get teary-eyed after throwing the game winning huck. The passion that she feels for the sport is undeniable.

As a teammate, the spirit and love that she shows for the team is obvious. It seems almost every tournament she shows up with a surprise to get our spirit up right away; pump up mix CDs, badass spray tattoos, necklaces, the list goes on. Robyn is constantly pushing us to be the best we can be, not only simply getting together to throw, but asking what you specifically want to work on, giving tips and making sure that every throw is working toward improvement. She respects the potential in every rookie just as much as she respects the talent in the starting line. One of my most memorable experiences with Robyn was at Easterns this year, during the championship game. I was out with a quad injury. After going to the endzone with the team to celebrate a score, she took me aside for a moment and told me that she knows how hard it is to be sidelined but that she can’t wait to have me with her on the field again. After giving me a huge hug, she headed back to the line, leaving me speechless. It meant so much that in the middle of a championship game, she appreciated her teammates on the sideline just as much as she does the ones with her on the line. I feel so lucky to have Robyn as a teammate and feel that she embodies everything the Callahan award stands for.

Michelle Cartier
3rd Year Player on Iowa Saucy Nancy
Team-Designated Lefty
Robyn’s Favorite Throwing Partner

_________________________________________________________


My first memory of Robyn Fennig is from Chicago Invite 2010. As a rookie standing on the sidelines, I was miserable. My feet were soaking wet, I couldn't feel my hands, and I wondered why I ever got myself into a sport that involves throwing a wet disc around in a blizzard. But when Saucy played Wisconsin Eau-Claire, I finally stopped shivering for a few seconds to marvel at the handler in the orange coat. Why? Because Robyn didn't seem bothered by the cold at all - in fact, she almost seemed fueled by it. She was getting insane d's, catching the swilliest throws, and, of course, working the disc through our cup as though it were 85 and sunny. When I found out she would become a member of Saucy the following year, I was incredibly excited to see how she would mesh with our team. After playing with Robyn for the past semester, I couldn't have a higher opinion of her. And it's not just her undeniable talent - because that part is obvious to all who have watched her on the field. It is the Robyn OFF the field that makes her so incredible. Robyn treats everyone equally - her opponents, her teammates, rookies, vets...she wants everyone to improve and to love the sport of ultimate as much as she does. Twice this season she has carried injured players off the field in the middle of a point she was playing in - and once it was a member of the opposing team. I can honestly say that I owe a huge amount of my personal improvement this year to Robyn, simply because I feel like she believes in me as a player. Whenever I get down on myself at a tournament or after a rough practice, she's always there to say, "Let's throw. What do you want to work on?" But probably my favorite part of Robyn is her passion. When she speaks in the huddle during a game, you can almost feel her adrenaline. She is always buzzing with excitement, desire, and drive. Not only does she want to play her best and have her team do well, she is always concerned about everyone having fun as well - I can't count the amount of times she's done something silly at practice (like ripping a dandelion out of the ground and putting it in her hair) just to get everyone to lighten up and enjoy themselves. Robyn's joy is infectious, and Saucy Nancy simply wouldn't have been as cohesive and determined of a team this year if we didn't have her. Robyn Fennig is the most dedicated, inspiring ultimate player I know. She deserves to win this year's Callahan award.

Chelsea Russell
2nd Year Player on Iowa Saucy Nancy
Golden Girl featured Baton Twirler at the University of Iowa

_________________________________________________________


Robyn deserves this award particularly because of her attitude and playing ability. She is a phenomenal player on both offense and defense with her range of throws, ability to read and D discs, and her speed and aggressiveness. Not only is she an amazing player already, but she is always looking to improve her own playing. Along with that, she wants to help the team improve in any way possible. She keeps everything positive with her laugh, huge praises, and constructive criticism; having a leader with that kind of attitude makes me want to come to practice and try my hardest all the time. In games, I have also seen how Robyn treats players on other teams with respect as well and it is due to all of these qualities that I really look up to Robyn on and off the field. She is so dedicated to our team and to Ultimate in general and I feel she is a perfect candidate for the Callahan award.

Anna Pritchard
1st Year (of Ultimate) Player on Iowa Saucy Nancy
Saucy FOTY Candidate

No comments:

Post a Comment