Videos

Friday, May 6, 2011

Mikey Lun, Endorsement for Robyn

On the field, it doesn’t take long to see what Robyn brings to the table. She has an effect on every aspect of the game on both sides of the disc. What she lacks in speed, Robyn makes up for in length, skill, instinct, and intensity. She’s that “5-Tool” player that pushes good teams over the top and makes them great.

On both sides of the disc, Robyn rules the air. Offensively, I’ve never seen a bigger or more accurate forehand, or a player who can break a mark so easily. It’s always entertaining to hear what Open players will say when they see her play. I can’t count the times I’ve heard guys walking by and something like, “Holy ****, I can’t throw my forehand that far with the wind and she’s going upwind!”

Defensively, Robyn allows us to be aggressive. Her pulls are unmatched. She essentially takes away one side of the field with her help D, and consistently gets layout blocks against the other team’s best players.

Robyn isn’t afraid to roll the dice, and consistently makes big play after big play. As her coach, I admittedly would often like her to take the more conservative throw and poach less on defense. With that said, there’s no denying her impact on every play… her instincts and Ultimate IQ allow her to take risks. The dice just seem to always roll in her favor. She’s ones of those players that makes her teammates better. I could go on and on about Robyn’s playing ability, but hopefully the footage (soon to be posted) will speak for itself, and there are plenty of incredible players in the country this year.

What really separates Robyn from any other Ultimate player I’ve seen is her dedication to the sport and her teammates. Whether it’s volunteering her time to be a Sectional Coordinator, Conference Coordinator, running an Ultimate Camp, or planning a skills clinic, Robyn is always giving back to the Ultimate community. In my head I’m thinking, “Robyn! Focus on what’s in front of you!” But that’s just her nature. She’s always thinking of how to make Ultimate better and how to get people involved in the sport she loves so much.

I wish I could describe the emotion she brings to the game that you can’t help but be inspired by. The focus she’s brought to her team, and the tears she’s shared with her teammates after those gritty wins along the way are indescribable moments that you can always feel inspired by. Robyn has lost in the game-to-go 2 or 3 years in a row now. This was her last year to make it… a position a lot of great players have been in, I’m sure. Regardless of how things play out I couldn’t be happier for her, and I’m glad she was able to do it with teammates who love her. With that said, I’ll let them do the talking.

Mikey Lun
Current Coach for Iowa Saucy Nancy
Multiple World Championship Qualifications
Long-Time Friend and Mentor

No comments:

Post a Comment